Quantum Cryptography

John Denker jsd at av8n.com
Mon Jul 2 17:11:49 EDT 2007

On 07/01/2007 05:55 AM, Peter Gutmann wrote:

> One threat model (or at least failure mode) that's always concerned me deeply
> about QC is that you have absolutely no way of checking whether it's working
> as required.  With any other mechanism you can run test vectors through it,
> run ongoing/continuous self-checks, and (in the case of some Type I crypto)
> run dual units in parallel with one checking the other.  With QC you've just
> got to hope that everything's working as intended.  That alone would be enough
> to rule out its use as far as I'm concerned, I can't trust something that I
> can't verify.

That's partly true, but there's more to the story.

Let's start by looking at the simple case, and then proceed to a more
sophisticated analysis:

By analogy:
  -- baseball pitchers should be evaluated on things like ERA, while
  -- football halfbacks should be evaluated on things like yard per carry,
  ... and not vice versa.

By that I mean:
  -- the integrity of DH depends fundamentally on the algorithm, so you
   should verify the algorithmic theory, and then verify that the box
   implements the algorithm correctly; while
  -- in the simple case, the integrity of quantum cryptography depends
   fundamentally on the physics, so you should verify the physics
   theoretically and then verify that the box implements the physics
   correctly,
  ... and not vice versa.

Don't complain that you cannot verify the physics the same way you
would verify the algorithm;  it's not a relevant complaint.

There are some beautiful operational checks that *can* be made on
a simple quantum crypto system.  For starters, you can insert a
smallish amount of attenuation in the link, as a model of attempted
eavesdropping.  The system should detect this, shut down, and raise
the red flag;  if it doesn't, you know it's broken.

==============

A more sophisticated analysis takes into account the fact that in the
real world (as opposed to the ultra-specialized laboratory bench),
there is always some dissipation.  Therefore any attempt to do anything
resembling quantum crypto (or even quantum computing) in the real world
uses some sort of error correction.  (These error correction schemes are
some of the niftiest results in the whole quantum computation literature,
because they involve /analog/ error correction, whereas most previous
modern error-correcting codes had been very, very digital.)  So there is
some interesting genuine originality there, from a theory-of-computation
standpoint.

 From a security standpoint though, this raises all sorts of messy issues.
We now have a box that is neither a pitcher nor a fullback, but some
weird chimera.  To validate it you would need to verify the physics *and*
verify the algorithms *and* verify the interaction between the two.

Needless to say, an algorithm intended for crypto requires much stricter
scrutiny than the same algorithm intended for ordinary computation.

In particular, the oft-repeated claim that "quantum cryptography detects
eavesdropping" may be true on the lab bench, but it does _not_ follow in
any simple way that a usable long-haul system will have the same property.

I agree with Steve that there is a difference between bona-fide early-stage
research and snake oil.

I did research in "neural networks" at a time when 90% of the published
papers in the field were absolute garbage, such as claims of solving
NP-hard problems in P time.
  -- When there are people who respect the difference between garbage and
   non-garbage, and are doing serious research, we should support that.
  -- When people try to publish garbage, and/or package garbage in shiny
   boxes and sell it to the government, we should call it for what it is.