The bank fraud blame game

Leichter, Jerry leichter_jerrold at emc.com
Sun Jul 1 23:09:16 EDT 2007

| | > I'd suggest starting from the deployment, training, and help desk
| | > costs.  The technology is free, getting users to use it is not.  I
| | > helped several banks look at this stuff in the late 90s, when cost
| | > of a smartcard reader was order ~25, and deployment costs were
| | > estimated at $100, and help desk at $50/user/year.
| |
| | Of course, given the magnitude of costs of fraud, and where it may
| | be heading in the near term, the $50 a year may be well spent,
| | especially if it could be cut to $25 with some UI investment. It is
| | all a question of whether you'd rather pay up front with the
| | security apparatus or after the fact in fraud costs...
|
| It may be, indeed.  You're going (as Lynn pointed out in another post)
| to be fighting an uphill battle against the last attempts.  I don't
| think smartcards (per se) are the answer.  What you really need is
| something like a palm pilot, with screen and input and a reasonably
| trustworthy OS, along with (as you say) the appropriate UI investment.
You do realize that you've just come down to what the TPM guys want to
build?  (Of course, much of the driving force behind having TPM comes
from a rather different industry.  We're all happy when TPM can be
used to ensure that our banking transactions actually do what the bank
says it will do for a particular set of instructions issued by us and
no one else, not so happy when they ensure that our "music transactions"
act the same way....)

Realistically, the only way these kinds of devices could catch on would
be for them to be standardized.  No one would be willing to carry one
for their bank, another for their stock broker, a third for their
mortgage holder, a fourth for their credit card company, and so on.
But once they *are* standardized, almost the same potential for
undesireable uses appears as for TPM's.  What's to prevent the movie
download service requiring that you present your Universal Safe Access
Fob before they authorize you to watch a movie?  If the only significant
differences between this USAF and TPM is that the latter is more
convenient because more tightly tied to the machine, we might as well
have the convenience.

(This is why I find much of the discussion about TPM so surreal.  The
issue isn't the basic technology, which one way or another, in some form,
is going to get used.  It's how we limit the potential misuses....)

							-- Jerry