The bank fraud blame game

Anne & Lynn Wheeler lynn at garlic.com
Sun Jul 1 15:38:14 EDT 2007

Ian G wrote:
> Unfortunately for the banks, there is a vast body of evidence that we
> knew and they knew or should have known that the PC was insecure [1].
> So, by fielding a system -- online commerce -- with a known weakness,
> they took responsibility for the fraud (from all places).

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aadsm27.htm#31 The bank fraud blame game
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aadsm27.htm#32 The bank fraud blame game

i.e. to large extent, the existence of the EU finread standard is proof
of attempt at countermeasures to the (known) PC integrity weaknesses.

the original electronic-commerce adopted the MOTO model
(mail-order/telephone-order) which placed significant responsibility
on the merchant ... AND there was some presumption that physical
goods were involved, shipping to a known address. SSL was used as
compensating process, in theory, placing internet-order on level playing
field with MOTO.

as electronic-commerce deviated more & more from the
MOTO-model and related assumptions ... there were increasing
risks and vulnerabilities.

one of the early problems ... in the electronic-commerce genre ...
was what to do with purely internet merchants. in the standard
MOTO model ... there is consumer financial institution, financially
responsible for the consumer and merchant financial institution,
financially responsible for merchants (with merchant interchange
fees largely underwriting the whole environment).

merchant financial institutions tended to sponsor merchants where
there were physical assets available for seizure ... equivalent to
a month or two of credit card transactions. With every transaction
passing thru the sponsoring organization (or its agent), the merchant
financial institution had real-time knowledge of the outstanding exposure
and risk (and was capable of cutting things off at a moments notice).
However, a lot of internet merchants were setting up as purely order
fulfillment organizations with little in the way of physical assets.
In the early electronic commerce days there were some intense lobbying
that went on with the risk management departments in merchant
financial institutions.

But as mentioned in previous post ... the move to online banking ...
removes the merchant completely from the picture (it is no longer
the electronic commerce MOTO-model) ... leaving just the end-user
and their financial institution as the responsible party.

In the mid-90s, financial institutions looking at the internet for
online, commercial banking and cash management (i.e. business
equivalent to consumer online banking) were extremely conflicted
... they frequently were almost insisting on their own appliance
at the business (and low-end of SOHO at least overlaps high-end
of consumer online banking).

Various of the PC-based dedicated financial applications go to
quite some lengths to compensate for kind of vulnerabilities
typically associated with browser activity. For instance,
instead of relying on a trusted third party to certify that
some remote location really has a valid digital certificate,
they have a trusted repository of valid financial institutions.
This is somewhat the equivalent of the table of certification
authority trusted third parties built into browsers ... but
instead of table of certifying parties that can certify other
parties ... it is table of the actual financial institutions.
This has the added benefit of eliminating the horribly complex
and vulnerable PKI-type of operation (an don't rely on certification
of something totally unrelated to financial transaction operation,
but instead rely directly on known financial transaction operation).