"Free WiFi" man-in-the-middle scam seen in the wild.

Roy M. Silvernail roy at rant-central.com
Tue Jan 23 10:06:12 EST 2007

On Tue, January 23, 2007 09:24, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> (Incidently, the article gets a few things wrong. It somewhat implies
> that you are safe if you pick a WiFi network you have a previous
> relationship with, which isn't true.)

It also is only warning against ad-hoc connections with misleading names.
While I see a bunch of these around (not necessarily in airports,
either... several show up from my cube at work), it doesn't take much to
put up a perfectly normal-looking access point.  See
http://www.ethicalhacker.net/content/view/66/24/ for examples.
--
Roy M. Silvernail is roy at rant-central.com, and you're not
"Antelope Freeway, one sixty-fourth of a mile." - TFT