analysis and implementation of LRW

james hughes hughejp at mac.com
Mon Jan 22 10:56:06 EST 2007

The IEEE P1619 standard group has dropped LRW mode. It has a
vulnerability that that are collisions that will divulge the mixing
key which will reduce the mode to ECB.

There are new mode, XTS-AES being drafted. At this time no one has
claimed that XTS-AES is patented encumbered. There is a reference
implementation of XES-AES by Brian Gladman (although he calls it XEX).

Additionally, there are three modes for wide block encryption
(treating an entire sector as a single permutation) called
	XCB/HCTR, EME*, and TET.
at this time no one has claimed that TET is patented encumbered.

More information about this work group, and their email archive can
be found at
	http://ieee-P1619.wetpaint.com

Standard caveat applies to implementing non-ratified standards that
things will change.

Jim