It's a Presidential Mandate, Feds use it. How come you are not using FDE?

james hughes hughejp at mac.com
Mon Jan 22 11:10:46 EST 2007

On Jan 19, 2007, at 4:06 AM, Bill Stewart wrote:

> [...] if you're trying to protect against KGB-skilled attacks [...]

> On the other hand, if you're trying to protect against
> lower-skilled attackers, [...]

I always find these arguments particularly frustrating.

By slowly raising the bar for the lower-skilled criminals, you get
the effect in Steven's firewall book cover (I forget the version,
where you must be a certain height to attack the castle.)

For me, the bottom line is that if you protect against the former,
then you get the latter, and it is only a small matter of time when
the lower-skilled people will get a script to do the higher quality
attacks. Remember WEP?

I really have to question continuing a snail's pace information
protection arms war when we have all the tools we need to properly
defend ourselves.