It's a Presidential Mandate, Feds use it. How come you are not using FDE?

Steven M. Bellovin smb at cs.columbia.edu
Wed Jan 17 14:23:07 EST 2007

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 09:33:54 -0800
"Saqib Ali" <docbook.xml at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/16/07, Steven M. Bellovin <smb at cs.columbia.edu> wrote:
> > I don't think that that distinction is either necessary or
> > sufficient.
>
> Dr. Bellovin,

Please -- "Steve".

> I would like to invite you to try out a Free FDE product called
> Compusec < http://www.ce-infosys.com/ >

Does it run on NetBSD?  I don't use Windows....

> After trying, please let me know if the distinction between "disk
> encryption" (e.g. TrueCrypt) and "full disk encryption" (e.g.
> Compusec) is insufficient.

My point is that I have some fairly complex operational environments.
The distinction between the "operating system" and everything else
isn't that clear.  What is part of the OS?  The kernel?  The boot
loader? (It has several parts.)  Dynamically-loaded
modules?  /sbin/init?  The shell?  My virtual machines?  The Xen
hypervisor?  (I don't yet run Xen on my laptop.  I will as soon as it
supports power management.)