(Short) Intro and question

Allen netsecurity at sound-by-design.com
Sat Jan 6 16:13:32 EST 2007

Hi everyone,

I'm Allen Schaaf and I'm primarily an information security
analyst - I try to look at things like a total stranger and ask
all the dumb questions hoping to stumble on one or two that
hadn't been asked before that will reveal a potential risk.

I'm currently consulting at a very large HMO and finding that
there are lots of questions that have not been asked so I'm
having fun.

One of the questions that I have been raising is trust and how to
ensure that that it is not misplaced or eroded over time. Which
leads me to my question for the list: I can see easily how to do
split key for 2 out of x for key recovery, but I can't seem to
find a reference to the 3 out of x problem.

In case I have not been clear enough, it is commonly known that
it is harder to get collusion when three people need to act
together than when there are just two. For most encryption 2 out
x is just fine, but some things need a higher level of security
than 2 out of x can provide.

Thanks for any tips, ideas, solutions, or pointers.

Allen Schaaf
Information Security Analyst
Certified Network Security Analyst and
Intrusion Forensics Investigator - CEH, CHFI
Certified EC-Council Instructor - CEI

Security is lot like democracy - everyone's for it but
few understand that you have to work at it constantly.