padlocks with backdoors - TSA approved

David Chessler chessler at capaccess.org
Tue Feb 27 01:09:00 EST 2007

At 03:20 PM 2/26/2007, you wrote:
><?xml version="1.0" encoding="US-ASCII"?> Hi,
>
>has this been mentioned here before?
>

>I just had my crypto mightmare experience.
>

>I was in a (german!) outdoor shop to complete my equipment
>for my next trip, when I came to the rack with luggage padlocks
>(used to lock the zippers).
>
>While the german brand locks were as usual, all the US brand locks
>had a sticker
>
>    "Can be opened and re-locked by US luggage inspectors".
>
>Each of these (three digit code) locks had a small keyhole for the
>master key to open. Obviously there are different key types
>(different size, shape, brand) as the locks had numbers like "TSA005"
>tell the officer which key to use to open that lock.
>

>Never seen anything in real world which is such a precise analogon of
>a crypto backdoor for governmental access.
>
>Ironically, they advertise it as a big advantage and important feature,
>since it allows to arrive with the lock intact and in place instead of
>cut off.
>

>This is the point where I decided to have nightmares from now on.

This is why I don't bother with padlocks until I get to the hotel
room. It is a good idea to slow down the petty thief, but a "twist
tie" from a plastic bag will work. I use the nylon straps used to
hold cable bunches in place. I use many different colors, so it is
most unlikely that a petty thief would have one handy (black or white
are very common.

When last I flew they TSA had cut the cable ties. I took the suitcase
directly to the baggage desk and we examined it together. (Do not
pile up books in your suitcase. The TSA does not distinguish between
books and Semtex: it considers both equally dangerous.)

D__/d   chessler at capaccess.org
               chessler at usa.net