padlocks with backdoors - TSA approved

Ian Farquhar (ifarquha) ifarquha at cisco.com
Mon Feb 26 23:37:10 EST 2007

Some of the locks have special indicators which flag that a TSA key has opened it, which marginally improves the idea, but not
by much.  Whether those flags could represent a defence in the case of a corrupt official in possession of TSA keys I do not
know.

Without such flags, it's an INCREDIBLY unwise idea, as if you keep the bag unlocked, at least you have a defence that handlers
could have added items to the luggage in transit.

Some readers will have heard the case of Schapelle Corby, who is serving a 20 year sentence in Indonesia for trafficing
marijuana.  In the ensuing investigation, a significant amount of evidence was uncovered suggesting that corrupt baggage
handlers were trafficing drugs between Australian airports, using unlocked baggage.  Corby's laywers claimed that she was the
victim of this, and that the destination baggage handler failed to intercept the drugs which were planted in her luggage.

I won't make a comment on the conduct of the agencies, the media and governments involved in the Corby case.  However, I will
say that any government (or other) program which assumes the honesty of employees and contractors is fundamentally flawed, and
any associated risk analysis is either incompetent, or in failing to identify risk to travellers, seriously incomplete.

Ian.