FW: Entropy of other languages

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Tue Feb 6 09:30:11 EST 2007

Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 15:46:41 -0800
> Allen <netsecurity at sound-by-design.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi gang,
> >
> > An idle question. English has a relatively low entropy as a
> language.
> > Don't recall the exact figure, but if you look at words that start
> > with "q" it is very low indeed.
> >
> > What about other languages? Does anyone know the relative entropy of

> > other alphabetic languages? What about the entropy of ideographic
> > languages? Pictographic? Hieroglyphic?
> >
> It should be pretty easy to do at least some experiments today --
> there's a lot of online text in many different languages.  Have a look

> at http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/ for freely-available books that
> one could mine for statistics.

As a very rough proxy, look at the length of the same text in different
translations.

My father was in advertising in Europe. When they laid out a print ad,
they always did so using the German text. If the German fit, any other
language they were interested in would do so as well.

Now that I work (among other things) on cellphone applications, I'm
running into similar issues in internationalizing text on tiny screens.

Peter Trei

Disclaimer: This is a personal opinion. It may or may not jibe with my
employer's opinion.