PlayStation 3 predicts next US president

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Thu Dec 13 15:58:18 EST 2007

>The financial industry has actually created its own system - I forget
>the name, some like a Gold Bond Certification - that it requires for
>certain "high-importance" transactions (e.g., a document asserting you
>own some stock for which you've lost the certificates).

That's a medallion signature guarantee provided by a bank or similar
institution.  Unlike a notary, the guarantee means something, with
the institution accepting liability for forgery.

Not surprisingly, it's a rare bank bank who will do this for anyone who
isn't already a customer.  At my bank, the same person happens to be a
notary and the guarantee officer and she knows me, so she just asks which
stamp I want.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medallion_signature_guarantee
http://www.sec.gov/answers/sigguar.htm