PlayStation 3 predicts next US president

Allen netsecurity at sound-by-design.com
Mon Dec 10 16:41:38 EST 2007

William Allen Simpson wrote:
[snip]

> The whole point of a notary is to bind a document to a person.  That the
> person submitted two or more different documents at different times is
> readily observable.  After all, the notary has the document(s)!

No, the notary does not have the documents *after* they are
notarized, nor do they keep copies. Having been a notary I know
this personally. When I stopped being a notary all I had to
submit to the state was my seal and my record books.

If I had to testify about a document I would only be attesting
that the person who presented themselves adequately proved, under
the prudent businessman's standard, that they were the person
that they said they were and that I saw them sign the document in
question. That's it. No copies at all. What would anyone have to
testify about if a legal battle arose after the notary either
died or stopped being a notary?

Think for a minute about the burden on a notary if they had to
have a copy of every document they notarized. What a juicy target
  they would make for thieves and industrial spies. No patent
paperwork would be safe, no sales contract, no will, or other
document. Just think how the safe and burglar alarm companies
would thrive. Now ask yourself how much it costs to notarize a
document. Would that pay for the copying and storage. I don't
know what the current fees are in California but 20 years ago
they were limited to $6.00 per person per document and an extra
buck for each additional copy done at the same time. My average
was about $14.00 per session. My insurance was $50/year. Nowhere
near enough to cover my liability if I was to retain a copy of
the document.

Best,

Allen