Intercepting Microsoft wireless keyboard communications

Ian Farquhar (ifarquha) ifarquha at cisco.com
Sun Dec 9 19:20:44 EST 2007

When I looked at this circa 2001-2002, for another company, other 27MHz
keyboards didn't even bother to encrypt.  Most of the data was sent in
the clear, with neither encryption nor robust authentication.

Exactly what makes this problem so difficult eludes me, although one
suspects that the savage profit margins on consumables like keyboards
and mice might have something to do with it.

Ian.