PlayStation 3 predicts next US president

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Sun Dec 2 15:19:18 EST 2007

William Allen Simpson wrote:
 > Actually, I deal with notaries regularly.  I've always
 > had to physically sign while watched by the notary.
 > They always read the stuff notarized, and my
 > supporting identification, because they are notarizing
 > a signature (not a document).

  Not true.  Because they are notarizing a signature, not
a document, they  check my supporting identification,
but never read the document being signed.

 > And yes, they always generate the stamp or imprint
 > they sign. To do otherwise would be irresponsible (and
 > illegal).

If they were to generate an MD5 hash of documents
prepared by someone else, then the attack described
(eight different human readable documents with the same
MD5 hash) works.