World's most powerful supercomputer goes online

Victor Duchovni Victor.Duchovni at MorganStanley.com
Fri Aug 31 13:58:35 EDT 2007

On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 06:23:57PM +1200, Peter Gutmann wrote:

> This may be the first time that a top 10 supercomputer has been controlled not
> by a government or megacorporation but by criminals.  The question remains,
> now that they have the world's most powerful supercomputer system at their
> disposal, what are they going to do with it?  And I wonder what the LINPACK
> rating for Storm is?

Isn't most of the cost/complexity of super-computers the interconnect
fabric and memory system, not the CPUs... Clearly for easy to partition
problems this beats the "super-computer" systems, but many large problems
won't tolerate Storm's interconnect latency...

The LINPACK benchmarks on super-computers largely measure memory-bandwidth
not CPU power, but the memory pre-fetch pipeline depth is not unbounded,
most algorithms will stall if latency is too high... Simulations of
supernova explosions or aircraft wing dynamics probably don't easily
scale on Storm...

--

 /"\ ASCII RIBBON                  NOTICE: If received in error,
 \ / CAMPAIGN     Victor Duchovni  please destroy and notify