debunking snake oil

Stephan Neuhaus neuhaus at st.cs.uni-sb.de
Fri Aug 31 12:54:09 EDT 2007

travis+ml-cryptography at subspacefield.org wrote:
> I think it might be fun to start up a collection of snake oil
> cryptographic methods and cryptanalytic attacks against them.  It
> would be more fun for me than crossword puzzles, and educational for
> all the would-be cryptographers.

One good candidate would be Enigma 2000, now available as Enigma 2000 Plus:

http://www.drchip.de/html/enigma_2000_plus.html

Unfortunately, there is little information available, but from what I
saw a few years ago, this is a polyalphabetic cipher with a large key.

 From the web site: "Die Kombination aus der Vernam-Codierung
(One-Time-Pad) und des von T. Heidel zum Patent angemeldeten Verfahrens
macht eine "bis zu beweisbar sichere Dateiverschlüsselung" möglich."

Or, in English: "The combination of Vernam encoding (One-Time-Pad) and
the patent-pending approach by T. Heidel enables "up to provably secure
data encryption"."

Fun,

Stephan