NSA crypto modernization program

David G. Koontz david_koontz at xtra.co.nz
Wed Aug 29 02:14:05 EDT 2007

Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> http://www.fcw.com/article103563-08-27-07-Print
>

> 		--Steve Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb

An interview with DIRNSA, a bit on the subject of cryptomod:
http://www.military-information-technology.com/article.cfm?DocID=389

Straight from the horses mouth:
https://www.cryptomod.org/frontpage.htm  (unfortunately you have to
be a member, which is essentially by invitation only.  If you're a
member it appears the content is dynamic, and has more of interest
than the neophyte can see.

There's the wiki page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptographic_Modernization_Program

They're purportedly talking about reconfigurable crypto to be able to
run different algorithms:
http://edageek.com/2007/02/21/xilinx-virtex-4-fpga-nsa-crypto/
http://www.xilinx.com/prs_rls/2007/end_markets/0713_v4nsa.htm
Xilinx, NSA Create Virtex-4 FPGA-based Cryptographic Solution
Posted in FPGAs on Wednesday, February 21, 2007

http://www.mil-embedded.com/PDFs/NSA.Mar07.pdf
FPGA-BASED SINGLE CHIP CRYPTOGRAPHIC SOLUTION (U)

I ran into something talking about a next generation secure identification
friend or foe (SIFF), that if I recall correctly was saying that it was KI-1
backward compatible, sounded reconfigurable.  I know there are other single
chip implementations of older Type I originally using permuters.

Articles with some equipment and process replacements:;
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_2005_May_6/ai_n13674881
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_2005_June_10/ai_n13807215
(Safenet bought Mykotronx/Rainbow?)
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0PAA/is_3_31/ai_n16740679

John Young's cryptome:
http://cryptome.org/kg30-library.htm
U) NSA/CSS Policy 3-9, Cryptographic Modernization Initiative Requirements
for Type 1 Cryptographic Products, National Security Agency, Information
Assurance Directorate, 28 Mar 2003 (U//FOUO Document - NSA)
You can see that the cryptomod has been underway for a while.

Saw something last week saying the KG-30 family was retired.

There appears to be either two or three cryptoprocessors, too.
http://www.l-3com.com/products-services/docoutput.aspx?id=805
(Hadn't seen this one before.)

You can find lots of interesting things by pursuing the latest buzz phrase,
Information Assurance:
http://www.military-information-technology.com/article.cfm?DocID=1932
(This one is very interesting)

Literally everyone is jumping on the bandwagon.