interesting paper on the economics of security

dan at geer.org dan at geer.org
Thu Aug 23 12:40:41 EDT 2007

Jerry/Hal,

This lemon-car analogy is interesting.

One sidebar that might be worked into the argument is the
apparently widespread side-line business where a car is
auctioned on eBay but before the sale is consumated the
buyer engages a mechanic to check the car out pre-sale.
The car and the mechanic are generally remote from the
buyer but local to each other, and the mechanic is paid
by the prospective buyer.  The prospective buyer does not
know the mechanic and is instead relying on some (to me)
unknown combination of eBay endorsement and personal
reputation.  Note that all of what I just said is hearsay,
though my office-mate says that he has bought three cars
by this method.  It almost causes me to say "relying party"
out loud...

If this idea is a rathole, then my fault and my apology.

--dan