Fwd: Potential SHA 1 Hack Using Distributed Computing - Near Miss(es) May be Good Enough

Christian Rechberger christian.rechberger at TUGraz.at
Tue Aug 14 17:31:33 EDT 2007

Quoting Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman at vpnc.org>:

> At 11:00 PM -0700 8/13/07, Aram Perez wrote:
>> Anyone know more about this?
>
> I have the same question. I could not find any description of *why*
> they think that finding near-misses is going to help the research.
> It's not clear if they are taking their own path, or trying to
> improve Wang's path, or what.

The mentioned article is indeed confusing, the information in there
took apparently several hops.

To address your questions: Indeed, we have our own "path", but more
importantly we developed a new method to speed-up generation and
testing of candidate message pairs and apply it to SHA-1. The
resulting work factor is still quite high, hence we ask for
contributions via the BOINC framework.

More information on cryptanalytic details, type of collision, and
resulting work factor will appear later this year.

-Christian