Cryptome cut off by NTT/Verio

dan at geer.org dan at geer.org
Sun Apr 29 14:48:00 EDT 2007

[Moderator's note: I'm forwarding this one message, but I will
 not be forwarding any further messages on what regulations ISPs
 should or should not be subject to -- that is beyond the scope of the
 mailing list. --Perry]

Perry, et al.,

"If I ran the zoo", then I would give the
big ISPs this choice:

(1) You accept common carrier designation,
which means you are not responsible for
your content but you have to charge the
same for transporting X bits independent
of what those bits are.

(2) You can charge whatever you want to
charge, e.g., get into the premium movie
distribution business, but you are not
a common carrier and you are responsible
for the content you carry.

Note that what they want is the good
parts of both (we can charge what we
like and it is never our fault).