crypto component services - is there a market?

Stefan Kelm stefan.kelm at secorvo.de
Fri Apr 27 09:27:14 EDT 2007

Ian,

> Stefan is talking about Germany which has issued a plethora of
> recommendations, laws and what-not to "cause ecommerce to leap into
> life".  Unfortunately, they did not understand, and electronic documents
> are much much harder to do in these environments, with no general added
> benefit and lots of downside.

Moreoever, some other countries blindly copied what the Germans did,
thinking that would be a good idea. The Austrians made some of the
exact same mistakes but seem to have learned faster than the Germans.

> The German rules have defied, there is no easy way to get into them ...
> at least, the Germans have sworn to me it is impossible...

Sad but true. This year'll mark the 10th anniversary of our signature
law. I reckon nobody will be celebrating that event...

> Qualified certificates are defined in the European Digital Signature
> Directive, which is an over-arching design for all the EU countries to
> pass into local law.

Yes, this has already happened and has even been evaluated by the
European Commission in 2003:
http://www.law.kuleuven.ac.be/icri/itl/elsig.php
http://www.secorvo.de/publikationen/electronic-sig-report.pdf

> It's only under the German code where they try and define it all, as far
> as I can see.  We are talking about a country where they tried to tax
> servers so as to pay for their TV...

Yeah, bloody Germans...  :-)

Cheers,

	Stefan.

T.I.S.P.  -  Lassen Sie Ihre Qualifikation zertifizieren
vom 25.-30.06.2007 - http://www.secorvo.de/college/tisp/
Stefan Kelm
Security Consultant

Secorvo Security Consulting GmbH
Ettlinger Strasse 12-14, D-76137 Karlsruhe
Tel. +49 721 255171-304, Fax +49 721 255171-100
stefan.kelm at secorvo.de, http://www.secorvo.de/
PGP: 87AE E858 CCBC C3A2 E633 D139 B0D9 212B

Mannheim HRB 108319, Geschaeftsfuehrer: Dirk Fox