More info in my AES128-CBC question

Allen netsecurity at sound-by-design.com
Wed Apr 25 23:00:01 EDT 2007

Aram Perez wrote:

> Another response was "you haven't heard of anyone breaking SD cards have
you?"

I love responses like this. In the physical world there are the
examples of the Kyptonite lock and the Master Combination lock.
By the time you hear about the methodology of the attack someone
has lost their $16000+ motorcycle or had their wallet with $1000
and identity papers stolen from their gym locker and they really
were telling the truth about knowing they locked it up properly.

My counter to this sort of response is, "How many people are
attacking it that you don't know about yet?"

For one I can almost (not being on staff I can't be absolutely
sure) guarantee that the NSA is hard at work at cracking SD
cards. Why, you might ask? Simple. What would be the easiest way
for a spy to smuggle critical information out of a country? As an
ostensible tourist with a camera and multiple SD cards. Even
easier would be to give the camera to a real tourist as a "gift"
and then steal it back when they get home.

There is a very fine balancing act between confidentiality (or
secrecy, if you'd rather) and an open society with
accountability. America's existence is partly as a result of
people objecting to a "Star Chamber" legal system and yet the
security of democracy resides on having truly secure and private
elections that can not be tampered with without it becoming
known. This is where cryptography can play a critical role in
maintaining trust in our system of governance and protecting
people who hold divergent views or beliefs from intimidation.

Best,

Allen