More info in my AES128-CBC question

Victor Duchovni Victor.Duchovni at MorganStanley.com
Fri Apr 20 11:58:46 EDT 2007

On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 10:32:58PM -0700, Aram Perez wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> First, thanks for all your answers.
>
> The proposal for using AES128-CBC with a fixed IV of all zeros is for a protocol between two entities that will be exchanging messages. This is being done in a "standards" body (OMA) and many of the attendees have very little security experience. As I mentioned, the response to my question of why would we standardize this was "that's how SD cards do it".
>
> I'll look at the references and hopefully convince enough people that it's a bad idea.

You still have not described the protocol, or how keys are used/managed.
The question has no answer outside the context of a specific protocol,
other than in general it is best practice to use random IVs or otherwise
unlikely to repeat IVs.

--

 /"\ ASCII RIBBON                  NOTICE: If received in error,
 \ / CAMPAIGN     Victor Duchovni  please destroy and notify