Raw RSA

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Sat Sep 9 18:12:49 EDT 2006

Leichter, Jerry wrote:
> | It is known, that given such an oracle, the attacker can ask for
> | "decryption"  of all primes less than B, and then he will be able to
> | sign PKCS-1 encoded messages if the representative number is B-smooth,
> | but is there any way to actually recover d itself?

> RSA is multiplicative, so, yes, this follows easily unless the encoding
> used prevents it.

Could you describe this attack in more detail.  I do not see a scenario
where it would be useful.

The attacker can encrypt a subset of numbers - those that encrypt to a B
smooth number, but for this to be useful to him, he has to find a number
in the subset set that corresponds to what he desires to encrypt, which
  looks like a very long brute force search.