IGE mode is broken (Re: IGE mode in OpenSSL)

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Sat Sep 9 17:21:51 EDT 2006

On Sat, Sep 09, 2006 at 09:39:04PM +0100, Ben Laurie wrote:
> > There is some more detail here:
> >
> > http://groups.google.ca/group/sci.crypt/browse_thread/thread/e1b9339bf9fb5060/62ced37bb9713a39?lnk=st
>
> Interesting. In fact, Gligor et al appear to have proposed IGE rather
> later than this date (November 2000).

Well looking at the paper by Gligor in their mode submission to NIST
on IGE, it appears rather that our FREE-MAC was a re-invention of IGE!
Apparently according to Gligor IGE was proposed by Carl Campbell in
Feb 1977, about the same time as CBC mode was proposed.  Gligor et al
wrote the mode-submission for IGE in Nov 2000.

> I may have misunderstood the IGE paper, but I believe it includes proofs
> for error propagation in biIGE. Obviously if you can prove that errors
> always propagate (with high probability, of course) then you can have
> authentication cheaply - in comparison to the already high cost of
> biIGE, that is.

I am not sure about the proofs in the IGE-spec paper, but at least the
proofs about IGE at least must be flawed somehow because the sci.crypt
post shows a a class of known plaintext modifications that exhibits
error recovery.  I worked through it on paper at the time, and as far
as I can see it trivially breaks IGE/FREE-MAC.  No doubt there are
other variations so there are lots of permutations you can do in
rearranging the ciphertext such that the "integrity check" still
passes.

Adam