Locating private keys in RAM?

Mike Lisanke mikelisanke at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 18:31:57 EDT 2006

Douglas,

Many applications using RSA make use of a private key in its ASN.1 BER form.
In this format, the surrounding encoding of a private key becomes very
easily recognizable.

The follow is an excerpt from RFC3447 (PKCS#1)

-- Representation of RSA private key with information for the CRT
-- algorithm.
--
RSAPrivateKey ::= SEQUENCE {
    version           Version,

Version ::= INTEGER { two-prime(0), multi(1) }
    (CONSTRAINED BY {
        -- version must be multi if otherPrimeInfos present --
    })

OtherPrimeInfos ::= SEQUENCE SIZE(1..MAX) OF OtherPrimeInfo

OtherPrimeInfo ::= SEQUENCE {
    prime             INTEGER,  -- ri
    exponent          INTEGER,  -- di
    coefficient       INTEGER   -- ti
}

In ASN.1 BER each integer, a sequence, a version, etc. all have well defined
form of octet (bytes) which represent both the type of object, its size, as
well as its value.

majordomo at metzdowd.com

Best regards,
--