handling weak keys using random selection and CSPRNGs

Travis H. solinym at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 21:35:29 EDT 2006

On 10/12/06, Leichter, Jerry <leichter_jerrold at emc.com> wrote:
> Beyond that:  Are weak keys even detectable using a ciphertext-only
> attack (beyond simply trying them - but that can be done with *any* small
> set of keys)?

Yes, generally, that's the definition of a weak key.

> But that's an odd
> attack to defend against - why not just try all the weak keys (or,
> again, any small subset of keys) and see if they work?

Because that's the definition of brute forcing, and generally the key
distribution
is close to uniform in any [symmetric] system that is worth a second glance?

> do "continuous online testing":  Compute the entropy of the generated
> ciphertext, and its correlation with the plaintext, and sound an
> alarm if what you're getting looks "wrong".

This is a decent idea.  Of course, there are scads of problems that
are not detectable by a simple memoryless markov model, but this
would be a decent sanity check on all but the smallest of plaintexts.

I would also want continuous monitoring of my HWRNG outputs; maybe
I wouldn't want a simple entropy check, which a properly-functioning
HWRNG will fail with a probability predicted by chance, but perhaps
a graphical display of the previous values.  I'm not a visual thinker,
but I don't think any amount of statistics are going to be as useful in
detecting deviations from uniformity as a plot and a human brain.
--
"The obvious mathematical breakthrough would be the development of an
easy way to factor large prime numbers.'' [sic] -- Bill Gates  -><-