RFID passport article in the UK's "Guardian" newspaper...

Dave Korn dave.korn at artimi.com
Tue Nov 21 12:47:54 EST 2006

On 20 November 2006 05:42, Marcos el Ruptor wrote:

> pipelining. What it means is that ASIC based RFID and smartcard microchips
> become physically impossible to clone without the use of specifically
> manufactured ASIC microchips that would cost at least $1mln.

  So, in other words, it's not even a trivial defense against even quite small
organized crime outfits, let alone full-on mafia or serious
internationally-backed terrorists.

> Thus, possessing all the information and all the keys does not give the
> attacker an ability to make a clone, not without a million dollars. And with
> a million dollars I'm sure they could buy hundreds of real passports in many
> countries, so why bother cloning one?

  Real passports get reported lost/stolen.  The ability to make completely
undetectable perfect fakes would definitely be handy, particularly to anyone
who wants a long-term fake identity (mortgage frauds, anyone?)

    cheers,
      DaveK