Creativity and security

Joseph Ashwood ashwood at msn.com
Sun Mar 26 22:07:07 EST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "J. Bruce Fields" <bfields at fieldses.org>
Subject: Re: Creativity and security

> On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 06:47:07PM -0000, Dave Korn wrote:
>>   IOW, unless we're talking about a corrupt employee with a photographic
>> memory and telescopic eyes,
>
> Tiny cameras are pretty cheap these days, aren't they?  The employee
> would be taking more of a risk at that point though, I guess.

The one I find scarier is the US restaurant method of handling cards. For
those of you unfamiliar with it, I hand my card to the waiter/waitress, the
card disappears behind a wall for a couple of minutes, and my receipt comes
back for to sign along with my card. Just to see if anyone would notice I
actually did this experiment with a (trusted) friend that works at a small
upscale restaurant. I ate, she took my card in the back, without hiding
anything or saying what she was doing she took out her cellphone, snapped a
picture, then processes everything as usual. The transaction did not take
noticably longer than usual, the picture was very clear, in short, if I
hadn't known she was doing this back there I would never have known. Even at
a high end restaurant where there are more employees than clients no one
paid enough attention in the back to notice this. If it wasn't a trusted
friend doing this I would've been very worried.
                Joe