Zfone and ZRTP :: encryption for voip protocols

Alex Pankratov ap at hamachi.cc
Fri Mar 17 19:21:47 EST 2006

Damien Miller wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Mar 2006, Ed Gerck wrote:

[snip]

>>"...allows the detection of man-in-the-middle (MiTM) attacks by
>>displaying a short authentication string for the users to read and
>>compare over the phone."
>>
>>Depends on the trust model. May not work.
>
> This is incomplete. The paragraph goes on to say:
 >
>>we still get fairly decent authentication against a MiTM attack, based
>>on a form of key continuity. It does this by caching some key material
>>to use in the next call, to be mixed in with the next call's DH shared
>>secret, giving it key continuity properties analogous to SSH.

Here's a quote from the draft -

>  We use an analogous baby duck security model to authenticate the DH
>  exchange in ZRTP.  We don't need to exchange persistent public keys,
>  we can simply cache a shared secret and re-use it to authenticate a
>  long series of DH exchanges for secure phone calls over a long period
>  of time.  If we read aloud just one SAS, and then cache a shared
>  secret for later calls to use for authentication, no new voice
>  authentication rituals need to be executed.  We just have to remember
>  we did one already.

The draft says that shared secrets are keyed by ZID when stored
in a local cache, where ZID is a unique persistent random ZRTP
endpoint ID.

Unless I am missing something, ZIDs exchanged by peers during a
handshake remain unauthenticated. This means that if both A and
B have cached shared secrets with M, then M can mount MitM
attack against A-B session and both A and B will be under the
impression that they are protected by 'key continuity' from
their previous (A-B) session.

Their SAS won't match of course, but since they see shared secret
being used for KE, they are not likely to bother with SAS check.

Alex