ISO rejects WAPI (for now)

Joachim Strombergson joachim at strombergson.com
Thu Mar 16 02:00:20 EST 2006

Aloha!

David Johnston wrote:
> Joachim Strombergson wrote:
>> I don't know if you have seen this, but ISO rejected the WAPI standard
>> proposal, opting instead for 802.11i/WPA2.
>>
>> http://eet.com/news/design/business/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=181502994
>>
>> How terrible, AES instead of the secret sauce-cipher. ,-)
>>
> WAPI is no longer secret sausce. It has been published in Chinese,
> including the formerly unpublished SMS4 block cipher.

Great, now could anybody please decipher the Chinese-encrypted
description? ;-)

On a more serious note, has anybody done any analysis of SMS4 yet? The
only thing I could find when Googling was this ISO document related to
the fast track-effort. The actual text about SMS4 is rather brief:

https://committees.standards.org.au/COMMITTEES/I-000/X0001/JTC001-N-7904.pdf

--
Med vänlig hälsning, Cheers!

Joachim Strömbergson