Greek cellular wiretapping scandal

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Sat Jun 24 03:49:02 EDT 2006

* Steven M. Bellovin:

> I have more than a passing aquaintance with the complexity of phone
> switch software; doing that was *hard* for anyone, especially anyone
> not a switch developer.

Isn't Ericsson's switching software written in Erlang, is highly
modular and officially supports run-time code replacement (like many
COBOL systems, but unlike, say, traditional IOS)?  This means that at
least no "rootkit" is needed.  You just replace the parts of the
system you are interested in using the standard system interfaces
intended for this purpose.  Of course, the complexity of the attack is
still significant.