Chinese WAPI protocol?

RL 'Bob' Morgan rlmorgan at washington.edu
Tue Jun 13 02:49:25 EDT 2006

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006, David Wagner wrote:

> As far as I can tell, WAPI (the Chinese proposal) uses proprietary
> unpublished cryptographic algorithms.  The specification is secret and
> confidential.  It uses the SMS4 block cipher, which is secret and
> patented. [*]

According to a legal friend who studies this area, it has been common
practice for quite a while for the Chinese to require the licensing of
Chinese-developed technology in many industrial areas in order for
companies to have access to the market.  WAPI reportedly led to the
highest-level conflict with US companies about this practice.

  - RL "Bob"