Use of TPM chip for RNG?

Hal Finney hal at finney.org
Mon Jun 12 16:04:33 EDT 2006

Finding a good source of random bits is a frequent problem in
cryptographic applications.  Recently many computers have begun shipping
with a TPM chip, which among other things includes a hardware RNG.
Does anyone know of Windows software which can use the TPM for this
purpose?  Perhaps via MS CAPI, or some other API?

On Linux, the "Trousers" library, http://trousers.sourceforge.net/,
provides access to TPM functions including RNG.  Basically I'm looking
for something similar for Windows.

Given all the questions about trusted computing technology, it would be
nice to get some straightforward operational benefit from all those TPM
chips being installed.  I'll be happy to summarize results back to the
list if people want to contact me privately.

Thanks -

Hal Finney
hal at finney.org