Status of attacks on AES?

Max maxale at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 17:20:14 EDT 2006

On 6/8/06, Steven M. Bellovin <smb at cs.columbia.edu> wrote:

> You say you have a method to evaluate ciphers.  Without full details, no
> one can form their own judgment if it's valid or not.  (My "proposal"
> clearly isn't valid.)  You say you've evaluated AES and other ciphers.
> Without full details, we don't know if your evaluation is correct.

I think they can prove their evaluation without publishing all the details.
What they need is just to provide an access to their distinguisher in
the form of blackbox.
To prove its meaningfulness, the distinguisher must show consistent
results in distinguishing AES-encrypted data (say, for a fixed
plaintext without repeating blocks on their choice) from random data.

Max