Status of attacks on AES?

Marcos el Ruptor Ruptor at cryptolib.com
Mon Jun 5 19:10:13 EDT 2006

>> http://defectoscopy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3
>>
>> http://defectoscopy.com/results.html
>> and
>> http://defectoscopy.com/background.html
>>
> Are there any peer-reviewed descriptions of your technique?  Right now,
> all that site seems to have -- and forgive me if I've missed a link --
> is a set of simple assertions about various ciphers, plus a fairly vague
> background page.  Put another way, and I hate to be this blunt, is there
> any reason to think your results are correct and/or meaningful?

Good, bad, right, wrong, correct, incorrect, meaningful, meaningless... Who
knows? Don't ask us. We are simply trying to contribute something new that
we strongly believe in, that may not be much, but that may also turn out to
be great. It's a very new site with too few results and is too early to
judge. It seems that some people liked our project and decided to advertise
it already and are showing some interest in it. We did not expect it to
attract any attention just yet and we did not want to promote it until there
were results for a few more dozen ciphers and hash functions.

I am sure there will be as many opinions as there are assholes as Klint
Eastwood says, but it doesn't change the facts about our tests. As we say on
the web site, if you want proofs, send us your challenge ciphers. We love
them. But we are very reluctant to participate in polemic debates. Our tests
are controversial enough and their results speak for themselves. Wait till
we publish our results for a few more ciphers and soon you'll see how all
the new designs measure up way before any attacks breaking them are found.
We are not academics struggling to prove their academic qualification and
not a corporation struggling to market its product, so if you don't mind,
we'll leave you believing whatever you want to believe and just get back to
work.

Ruptor

PS: Constructive productive positive contributions are also welcome.

[Moderator's note: Marcos el Ruptor perhaps does not understand the
concept of peer review and may be unfamiliar with the fact that there
is a large existing literature in the field. Perhaps that should say
something in itself. --Perry]