Status of SRP

Lance James lancej at securescience.net
Thu Jun 1 13:04:36 EDT 2006

Here's where SRP fails:

1) SSL is built into the browser - doesn't stop phishers
2) Chrome or no chrome good luck getting it in there and having every
user understand it.
3) Traditional phishing works, but if you force them to change, the
malware propagation will only be higher than it is now, and I can give
you the numbers on how much data is stolen with malware (over 2 million
credit cards have been acquired since January via trojan software - how
do I know this, I monitor their blind drops constantly and one group's
daily take is over 150 megs of credentials on average.

SRP suffers from a rollback attack, chrome or no chrome - humans don't
know enough about this, and if the phisher does:

"Hi, we're having a problem with your account system as our SRP database
was corrupted, please login through the webpage to verify your
information and reset your SRP account to working order".

Surprisingly, many would fall for this.

My 2 cents.

-Lance

--