Noise sources: multi-oscillator vs. semiconductor noise?

ericm at lne.com ericm at lne.com
Sat Jul 29 16:40:23 EDT 2006

On Sat, Jul 29, 2006 at 04:24:12PM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> I cannot find any public, rigorous discussion of why such a design might
> be preferable to the semiconductor noise type of design -- but I have to
> assume the people designing the commercial sources have all converged on
> similar designs for _some_ reason.

All the commercial RNGs are part of chips ("cores"), rather than
circuits made from discrete parts.  From what the hardware people I
have worked with have told me, the free-running oscilator design is
easier to get through chip-design software that generally considers
analog circuits to be errors.  It's also easier to simulate.

Eric