Interesting bit of a quote

Travis H. solinym at gmail.com
Sat Jul 15 04:24:22 EDT 2006

On 7/15/06, John Kelsey <kelsey.j at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> Another solution is to use cryptographic audit logs.  Bruce Schneier
> and I did some work on this several years ago, using a MAC to
> authenticate the current record as it's written, and a one-way
> function to derive the next key.  (This idea was apparently developed
> by at least two other people independently.)  Jason Holt has extended
> this idea to use digital signatures, which makes them far more
> practical.  One caveat is that cryptographic audit logs only work if
> the logging machine is honest when the logs are written.

Yeah, I love that idea, saw it at the 7th Usenix Security Symposium.

For everyone else, there's an implementation here:
http://isrl.cs.byu.edu/logcrypt/index.html
I have been looking for something like this for a while.

Note to Jason Holt: The subscribe links for the mailing lists are broken.

I like the idea of encrypting the entries, but I thought that having
to classify them into a finite number of classes, and restricting
disclosure to be along class lines is restrictive, but I don't know
offhand how to allow the logger to disclose arbitrary subsets
efficiently.
--
Resolve is what distinguishes a person who has failed from a failure.
Unix "guru" for sale or rent - http://www.lightconsulting.com/~travis/ -><-