Factorization polynomially reducible to discrete log - known fact or not?

Charlie Kaufman charliek at exchange.microsoft.com
Mon Jul 10 16:41:13 EDT 2006

I believe this has been "known" for a long time, though I have never seen the proof. I could imagine constructing one based on quadratic sieve.

I believe that a proof that the discrete log problem is polynomially reducible to the factorization problem is much harder and more recent (as in sometime in the last 20 years). I've never seen that proof either.

        --Charlie