thoughts on one time pads

Steven M. Bellovin smb at cs.columbia.edu
Sat Jan 28 12:20:53 EST 2006

How high-assurance are these CD destruction methods?  I don't recall
seeing any articles on CD data recovery under normal conditions, let
alone these.  As always, it depends on your threat model.  (Aside: to
me, the only reason for using one-time pads is because you don't trust
conventional encryption algorithms.  Given that AES is rated for top
secret traffic by NSA, I will assert that any enemy who has a chance of
attacking it can devote considerable resources to data recovery from
smashed CDs.)