thoughts on one time pads

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Sat Jan 28 12:14:11 EST 2006

You missed the old standby - the microwave oven.

The disk remains physically intact (at least after the
5 seconds or so I've tried), but a great deal of pretty
arcing occurs in the conductive data layer. Where the
arcs travel, the data layer is vapourized.

The end result is an otherwise intact disk in which the
data layer is broken up into small intact islands
surrounded by clear channels. It might be interesting
to try a longer burn, in which case you might also
want to put a glass of water in with the disk(s) to
preserve the microwave's electronics.

This is probably less effective than the other methods
you've described, but its very fast and leaves no noxious
residues. It also uses a very commonly available tool.

Peter Trei