quantum chip built

Joseph Ashwood ashwood at msn.com
Wed Jan 18 17:24:44 EST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Cordover" <mjec at mjec.net>
Subject: Re: quantum chip built

> John Denker wrote:
>> My understanding is that quantum computers cannot "easily" do anything.

Probably one of the best statements so far, certainly QC and easy don't go
together very well at this time.

>> Alex said
>>> Is ECC at risk too?  And are we at risk in 10, 20 or 30 years from now?

At this time pretty much everything is potentially at risk from QC mostly
because we know so little about how they really behave. Will ECC-160 fall to
QC within 20 years? Probably not, but I wouldn't offer insurance against it.
Right now we can safely assume that for our lifetime QC will be less of a
threat than classical computation, but my standard recommendation of
checking your security in depth at least every 6 months (depending on the
safety buffer you have less decrease this) along with some continual
critical point examination (e.g. check every paper on cryptanalysis of AES
if you use AES) should be more than sufficient.
                Joe