phone records for sale.

Adler, Joseph jadler at verisign.com
Fri Jan 6 13:59:36 EST 2006

I got curious about this issue, and did a little digging into what's
going on here. It turns out that the FCC is looking into this problem at
EPIC's request.

EPIC filed a petition for rulemaking on this subject with the FCC -
which went out for public comment at the end of the year. The petition
itself contains copious material about the practices and methods - which
you can download. Use the FCC ECFS template:
http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/comsrch_v2.cgi
and enter "RM-11277" without the quotes, and click on Retrieve Document
List. I found both the original petition and the replies from service
providers fascinating.

-- Joseph Adler