NPR : E-Mail Encryption Rare in Everyday Use

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri Feb 24 15:18:31 EST 2006

Ian G wrote:

> To get people to do something they will say "no"
> to, we have to give them a freebie, and tie it
> to the unpleasantry.  E.g., in SSH, we get a better
> telnet, and there is only the encrypted version.

We could just as well say that "encryption of remote server sessions is
rare in everyday use". It's just that only geeks even do remote server
sessions, so they use SSH instead of telnet.

The thing is that email is in wide use (unlike remote server sessions).
Personally I doubt that anything other than a small percentage of email
will ever be signed, let alone encrypted (heck, most people on this list
don't even sign their mail).

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre