NPR : E-Mail Encryption Rare in Everyday Use

Victor Duchovni Victor.Duchovni at MorganStanley.com
Fri Feb 24 12:09:51 EST 2006

On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 08:30:16AM -0800, Paul Hoffman wrote:

> >So PGP obviously has a usability and scalability problem.
>
> Fully agree, and I would certainly extend that to S/MIME as well.

One of the issues with S/MIME is that most mail clients have no useful
support for self-signed keys. I want to be able to generate a self-signed
key (ala PGP) and have my friends bind it mo my identity. Nothing in the
message format prevents me from doing that, but the products insist on
only trusting CAs, not keys. To generate keys for email to/from my wife I
configured my and her Thunderbird to treat each of us as a trusted CA :-(

--

 /"\ ASCII RIBBON                  NOTICE: If received in error,
 \ / CAMPAIGN     Victor Duchovni  please destroy and notify