AW: methods of filling encrypted disks

Kuehn, Ulrich Ulrich.Kuehn at telekom.de
Mon Feb 6 03:33:20 EST 2006

> Von: Travis H. [mailto:solinym at gmail.com]
>
> So on this page:
> http://www.saout.de/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=EncryptedDevice
> there is a suggestion that people fill the encrypted image of
> a dm-crypt target with random data.  Why?

[...]
> I found the suggestion of using /dev/urandom to be far too
> slow, as it produces 160 bits of output per SHA-1
> computation.  I want to know if the fourth paragraph is
> correct, that copying /dev/zero to the upper layer before
> creating a file system would indeed provide the same
> protection against whatever attack the "fill with random bits"
> protects against.

What about using /dev/zero to fill the drive? Assuming that you
configure dm-crypt to use a secure cipher and a reasonably good
mode of operation, of course. Maybe use a key different from that
you will use finally for the device.

However, make sure that you do that before mkfs, otherwise all the
non-user-writeable parts of the device (inode tables etc) will not
be filled.

Are there any problems with this? I would assume that when the
crypto is good enough for my data, it should also hide all-zeroes,
shouldn't it?

Ulrich