gang uses crypto to hide identity theft databases

Jim Gellman jim at gellman.net
Thu Dec 21 13:09:50 EST 2006

Well this just sucks if you ask me.

> According to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), which confirmed that
> Kostap had activated the encryption after being arrested, it would
> have taken 400 computers twelve years to crack the code.
Scales linearly, right?  4,800 computers'll get it in a year?

How can one write a SETI-at-home-like screensaver that can attack the
ciphertext without giving the underlying information to thousands of people?

Barring that sort of grass-roots effort, I'm personally mad enough to
donate a PC + shipping.

-- jim