quantum crypto rears its head again.

Jon Callas jon at callas.org
Wed Dec 13 17:38:40 EST 2006

On 13 Dec 2006, at 11:57 AM, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> I saw this link on Slashdot (and it was also on Ekr's blog):
>
> http://hackreport.net/2006/12/13/quantum-cryptography-its-some-kind-
> of-magiq/
>
> It appears that the quantum crypto meme just won't go away.
>
> Bob Gelfond of MagiQ promises us that for only $100,000, plus monthly
> leasing of a dry fiber optic home run between your end systems, you
> can have security that isn't even as good as what nearly free software
> will give commodity computers over the unsecured public internet.
>
> I wonder if this idea is ever going to die. My guess is it will, but
> not until the people who have thrown away their money investing in
> this technology go bankrupt.

Thanks for writing your note at the bottom. Quantum cryptography is a
fascinating thing, but first of all, it's not cryptography. It should
be called quantum secrecy, or something akin to that. Next, its
proponents have a tendency to effectively say, "Oh, math, that's
something that could go bad. But physics, *that* will always be good!"

	Jon